Friday, August 16, 2013

Keeping up with the World's Busiest Golf Architect

While working in Sorocaba, Brazil this past May, I took the opportunity to go visit the world's busiest golf architect, Gil Hanse, in Rio de Janeiro.  Over the last 5 years I have been in the habit of showing up in the most unlikely locations to find work and I have been successful in my searches.  I believe the saying goes, "the harder I work the luckier I get."  In this case my luck landed me a job in Dubai and not in Rio as I was hoping!  Nonetheless I have been offered a tremendous opportunity to work alongside Gil Hanse and Jim Wagner, of Hanse Golf Design, in the construction of their latest project in Dubai.  The golf course will be part of a large luxury housing development in Dubai City.  I'll be doing my best to deliver a look to the bunkering scheme which reflects the overall concept of the project.  I have also been given the latitude to add value to the design in other facets of the golf course, from tee to green.

It is my first week on the job and we are in the bulk earthmoving stage of the project which begins with the construction of a driving range and two golf holes.  This is a golf course which will be totally manufactured as there is absolutely no contour to build from, only our own imaginations.  Mr. Hanse has given us a framework to create within and in effect encouraged critical input from the construction team.

The first hole is coming to life and should be ready for fine shaping by the end of our work week.

Updates to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment