Saturday, March 17, 2012

Eureka! We Have Sand!

9th Hole found in the sand.


With just my luck we actually have a huge ridge of sand that encompasses the entire length of the 9th hole.  600 yards long by 100 yards wide nothing but sand, from tee to green.  From this treasure trove we will top dress the fairways and greens and also use for the bunkers.  This parcel also presented the opportunity to create an alternate par-3 8th hole out of pure sand.  Cool!  Here is a picture of the work in progress.

Alternate 8th hole green site
After stripping the native sod, I excavated the bunkers that surround the left and right sides to build up the green pad. Currently, the green is 125 yards from the back tee and slopes 1% from back to front with no movement from side to side.  I've let this sit for a couple of days as I am moving on to more pressing bunker work and contemplating my options to blend the green into the surrounding landscape.

Check out a related blog post back in November when I visited St. George's Golf Course in Long Island


No comments:

Post a Comment